5 star dishes and best wishes

5 star dishes and best wishes
food for the family

Wednesday 2 March 2011

texas pot roast

I am not sure why I call it Texas pot roast I guess its the sauce. This is good and best when started earlier in the morning and slow cooks all day. It’s time to dig out the crock pot. I love this when I know i have a busy day ahead and won’t feel up for cooking after the days events are done. I also like to use it on a field trip day and I know I will be gone all day, it makes dinner one less thing to worry about. I make everything from scrtach you might not want to and there are alternative ways to make this.
So first we need to make the sauce. In a skillet place a few drizzles of olive oil, chopped onion, garlic and green pepper. Don’t over cook them you want to do it till the are nice and soft but we don’t want them burned. Okay next step in your skillet add a cup of brown sugar, 2 cups of ketchup about a 1/4 of a cup of mustard and a jar of homemade pasta sauce { I keep this in my freezer, I make it out of my tomatoes from my garden} if you dont have home made pasta on hand use a jar of it from the grocery. Now for seasoning, salt, pepper, basil, oregano, parsley and a few twigs of thyme. Mix it all together, you dont have to let it simmer because it is going to simmer all day in the crock pot. So you want to transfer the sauce to the crock pot and then place your choice of meat in the crock pot as well. If your pot is big enough add your potatoes and carrots. This sauce taste so good on the potatoes they really soak it up and give them such a blast of flavor in your mouth. Put the lid on and let it go all day.